Child benefit

Child benefit is a contribution to the cost of raising your children up to the age of 18. All parents and caretakers who are citizens of the Caribbean Netherlands are entitled to child benefit. It makes no difference how much you earn: child benefit is a gift and you do not have to pay it back. The child benefit is paid out by the SZW RCN unit. You must apply for the child benefit.

Applying for child benefit

You can apply for the child benefit at the SZW unit during consulting hours. You must make a separate application for each child.

You will need to take with you:

  • Your ID card (sedula)
  • If you have a partner who lives at the same address; (a copy of) your partner’s sedula
  • Proof of your bank account details
  • If you have guardianship: the guardianship order
  • If your child is staying abroad for medical reasons, a medical certificate
  • If your child is staying abroad for
    educational reasons; a statement by the school
  • If you do not have the Dutch nationality, bring a valid residence permit of yourself and your child(ren).

It is also possible to apply for child benefit online. Download the application form for child benefit here. Send the completed forms together with a scan of the documents listed above to

Child benefit amounts

Click here for the current amounts.

My child has turned 18

Child benefit is a contribution towards the expenses of raising children from 0 to 18 years old. In the month after your child has turned 18, the child benefit will automatically stop.

My child is taking further education

If your child receives a student grant, you are no longer entitled to child benefit. Even if your child is younger than 18 years old. If your child is younger than 18 but will soon receive a student grant, you have to let us know. You can do so by visiting us during consultation hours or by filling out the modification form.

For further information see the official laws and regulations governing child benefit