Custody and acknowledgement

Increasingly more children are born to unmarried parents. Parents can opt for joint custody. But how do parents arrange joint custody and is it the same as acknowledgement?

A minor child can study abroad without his/her parents. A minor child can leave Bonaire for his or her studies to study abroad without his or her parent (s) having authority, for example in the Netherlands or on Curaçao.

Or the parents who have custody leave the island and leave the child in the care of another person. In that case, the parents are obliged to appoint someone who takes over responsibility, care and upbringing of the child from them: a temporary guardian. A temporary guardian performs official acts on behalf of the minor, for instance signing important documents. The temporary guardian also manages the finances.