Preventing short circuits
One of the most common causes of fire in the home is short circuiting. Short circuits can have a variety of causes, such as the improper use of electrical appliances or the malfunctioning or overburdening of a fuse or group box. Poorly insulated power cords or faulty contacts can also be the cause of fire. On this page you will find information on how short circuits occur and how you can often easily prevent fires in your home caused by short circuits.
"Do you know what you can do to prevent a short circuit?"
"Short circuits are often the cause of fire at home and can be caused by the improper use of power strips and extension cords...."
"...or because electrical equipment is not properly maintained."
"By taking a few simple measures, you can reduce the risk of fire in your home."
"For example, make sure that equipment is plugged in correctly....
... and turn off electrical devices when not in use.”
"For more information on preventing short circuits, please visit www.rijksdienstcn.com."
Note: In case you still do experience a short circuit or fire in electrical appliances, then use a fire blanket or a special carbon dioxide extinguisher. Click here for more information on fire extinguishers.