Amateur radio operators (ham radio)

Amateur radio operators use their radio transmitters to contact other amateur radio operators elsewhere in the world, or even in space. They do this using equipment that they buy or build themselves because they are interested in radio communication and technology. Amateur radio operators also experiment with radio transmitters and antennas. Over 100 years ago, such experiments resulted in the development of radio- and telecommunication.

Amateur radio operators abroad

Are you visiting one of the islands of the Caribbean Netherlands and have passed your exam? If you possess a Dutch licence or an international licence, then you can - in many cases - also practice your hobby as amateur radio operator on the islands. However, you must apply for authorisation if you will be staying on the islands for a longer period of time (more than 3 months). If you have doubts about your licence, please contact us.

Travelling abroad

Will you be travelling abroad? Then you will be able to continue transmitting under your BES authorisation in most cases. If you are travelling abroad for a short period of time (up to 60 days), you do not have to apply for a permit in most European countries (CEPT). This also applies to the United States. Your Amateur Radio Station License will normally be sufficient.

However, you will sometimes need a HAREC or Novice certificate. You can apply for these certificates atthe Authority of Digital Infrastucture (ADI).

Further information can be obtained from the website of the qualified authority in the country you are visiting. Extensive information about the rules in Europe can be found on the website of CEPT. In the United States, you will find this information on the website of the FCC.

Call sign

If you request authorisation, the ADI will issue you a radio call sign. This call sign will make it possible to identify you.

In the Caribbean Netherlands, call signs begin with the letters PJ and a number used to distinguish each island (the prefix). This is 4 for Bonaire, 5 for Sint-Eustatius and 6 for Saba. This is then followed by another two or three letters (the suffix). You can select your own suffix, provided that it is not already being used.

For special cases, like club stations, relay stations and international competitions, you can request special authorisation featuring a suffix of just one letter.