Healthcare insurance for students

If you leave Bonaire, St. Eustatius or Saba to study abroad, you may retain your BES healthcare insurance. This only applies if the studies are directly connected to residing on one of the islands.

It does not matter where you study. If you need healthcare abroad, you are entitled to reimbursement of the expenses of that healthcare. The reimbursement is capped at the price level of the region or the Netherlands. It is possible that the price level in the country in which you are studying is higher than that which we reimburse. It is your own responsibility to take out supplementary insurance for this.

As of 1 July 2022, a change in the law applies to students who will study in the European Netherlands:  Staatsblad 2022, 193 | > Officiële bekendmakingen ( .

Are you going to study in the European Netherlands? Then follow the instructions in this letter:

Registration for students' healthcare insurance other countries than the European Netherlands

In order to claim the students' BES healthcare insurance, you must mail the following documents to

  • A copy of a valid proof of identity (sedula/citizen service number);
  • A copy of deregistration from the BES island on which you used to reside;
  • A copy of proof of registration in the new country/place of residence;
  • A copy of proof of registration of the study.

On the basis of this data, ZJCN will check if you are entitled to the healthcare insurance. If so, then a 'proof of healthcare insurance' will be issued. If not, then you will be informed of this. Once the application has been received, ZJCN does its best to issue the proof as quickly as possible.

Claims by care provider

The care provider can bill ZJCN directly. Both the bill and the 'proof of students' healthcare insurance' must be mailed to:

Claims by student

It may be that you yourself must advance the expenses of medical care. In that case, you can claim the expenses incurred from ZJCN. Claims can be made in three easy steps:

  • Step 1: Download the claims form and complete the form Student Claims Form
  • Step 2: Add the original bills to the claims form. Caution: copies of bills, due notices and reminders will not be processed.
  • Step 3: Send the claim to:
Health Insurance Office
Student Claim
P.O. Box 357
Bonaire, Caribbean Netherlands

Tip: Save copies of the claims form and copies of the original bills for your own administration.