Child benefit and student finance possible at the same time from the 1st of July

As of the 1st of July, 2024, parents with children under 18 will remain entitled to child benefit if their child also receives study financing. With this change, the child benefit regulation is aligned with the regulation in the European Netherlands.

Kinderbijslag en studiefinanciering

If a child is under the age of 18 and receives study financing, parents and caretakers will still be entitled to the child benefit from  the 1st of July 2024. This means that parents/caretakers do not have to cancel the child benefit if their child starts studying and receives study financing. In the month after a child has turned 18, the entitlement to the child benefit ends and the child benefit stops automatically.

Studying abroad

If a child is going to study abroad and has not turned 18 yet, then a parent or caretaker needs to send a signed certificate of enrolment from the educational institution to the SZW unit of RCN annually until the child turns 18. It is important to do this as soon as possible after a child has deregistered at the Census Office (Civil Registry). This helps prevent child benefit from being stopped if your child leaves the island to live elsewhere.

You can email a certificate of enrolment from the institution where your child is going to study to