Temporary guardianship Caribbean Netherlands

Is/are the parent(s) of a minor child leaving the island for more than three months and a child is remaining in the care of someone else? Or a child from abroad is coming to live on Bonaire, Saba or St. Eustatius? (Temporary) guardianship must then be arranged.

The parent(s) with parental authority must file an application for temporary guardianship at least four months before the departure date with the Guardianship Council CN on the island where the child is going to live or will continue to live. Below you can read exactly what happens when you apply for temporary guardianship.

If the applicant is someone other than the parent(s) with parental authority, then the application can be made with an authorisation. You will find an authorisation form at the bottom of this page.

If a child is 17.6 months old on departure, you do not need to apply for temporary guardianship. An authorisation with which an adult in the Caribbean Netherlands can arrange affairs for the minor is then sufficient.

How does an application for temporary guardianship proceed?