JICN Correctional Officers / Security Guards
Do you enjoy working with people and do you have the ability to hold your own? Are you alert, sharp-witted and helpful? Do you want to ensure safety and security within the Bonaire prison together with your colleagues? Then apply for the post of Correctional Officer / Security Guard at the Correctional Institution Caribbean Netherlands!
MBO 2 | Bonaire | 36 hours | Job ID: P&O2023_06_005
Closing date: This is an ongoing vacancy and therefore has no closing date; applicants should take into account a response time of at least 2 weeks after applying.
As Correctional Officer / Security Guard you will contribute to the humane detention of detainees. You will contribute to the maintenance of peace, order and security within the institution. You will be responsible for the surveillance and security of the detainees, the building and the grounds.
- You will perform security activities as per work instructions;
- You will act appropriately in case of (imminent) emergency and/or crisis situations;
- You will transfer duties in writing and/or verbally at the end of the shift;
- You will register/report incidents which have occurred and take care of the (administrative) processing;
- You will inform convicts and visitors about the house rules and security regulations;
- You will act, also under pressure, in accordance with applicable guidelines and protocols.
Several colleagues have additional duties. For these duties too we are looking for extra capacity. These duties are:
- The surveillance of persons taken into custody;
- (Armed) transport escorts;
- Internal assistance team (In Dutch: Interne bijstandsteam, abbreviated as IBT).
As Correctional Officer / Security Guard you will work in rotational shifts. These include evening, night and weekend shifts. Furthermore, the colleagues with the additional duties are on standby duty (‘standby’ outside normal working hours).
The Correctional Institution Caribbean Netherlands (in Dutch: Justitiële Inrichting Caribisch Nederland, hereafter JICN) is a Correctional Institution housed in an ultra-modern building at Plantage Aruba where all detainees of the Caribbean Netherlands can be placed. It has the capacity to incarcerate 113 persons, divided across seven (7) units, including young adults, juveniles, women, a house of detention, a prison and an infirmary. The JICN also tends to individuals taken into custody by the Dutch Caribbean Police Force placed in the JICN.
- Stress resistance;
- Accuracy in work;
- Collaboration skills;
- You have an MBO 2 (senior secondary vocational education and training) level of working and thinking (preferably MBO 2 level Security Guard training);
- You have professional knowledge in the area of surveillance and security;
- You have knowledge of (security) regulations and procedures;
- You are proficient in Dutch and Papiamentu, both verbally and in writing;
- A command of English and Spanish, both verbally and in writing, is considered an additional asset;
- You have the skills to defend yourself and your physical fitness is at an appropriate level;
- You possess a category B driving license;
- You are at least 21 years of age.
What do we offer?
- A salary in line with the market, job salary scale 4 between a minimum of $1,625.00 and a maximum of $1,973.00 per month based on a work week of 36 hours. A pay grade based on knowledge and experience;
- An irregular hours allowance with regard to rotational shifts;
- A holiday pay (8.33% of the remuneration);
- An end-year bonus (a so-called 13th month; 8.33% of the remuneration, at least equalling $1,750.00 gross);
- A pension plan administered by Pensioenfonds Caribisch Nederland (PCN);
- 168 holiday hours based on a work week of 36 hours;
- A temporary appointment of one year with the prospect of a permanent appointment in case of good performance and a positive appraisal;
- A relocation scheme for applicants not living in the island.
- This job vacancy has been published internally and externally at the same time. In the event of equal qualifications, preference will be given to internal candidates;
- An assessment or case study may be part of the procedure.
Terms of appointment
- Submission of a Certificate of Good Conduct (in Dutch: Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag, abbreviated as VOG) and a medical examination are required;
- Dutch citizenship is a requirement;
- The selection procedure includes a physical skills test, an Integrated Professional Skills Training (in Dutch: Integrale Beroepsvaardigheidstraining, abbreviated as IBT) test, a job interview and an assessment;
- Vetting is required for the additional duties.
Important information for interested applicants living outside the Caribbean Netherlands
- The salary is paid in American dollars, the official currency in the Caribbean Netherlands;
- The Caribbean Netherlands has its own tax regulations. Income exceeding the basic allowance (in Dutch: belastingvrije som; $17,352.00 in 2023) will be subject to a rate of 30.4% in loonheffing (payroll taxes);
- Participation in the pension fund is mandatory, including a personal contribution;
- You are or will become a resident of the Caribbean Netherlands.
For more information about the job vacancy, please contact Xavier Janga, teamleader Security guards at telephone number +599 795 4922 or via e-mail address Xavier.Janga@jicnbonaire.nl.
You can send your Curriculum Vitae with motivation to: vacature@rijksdienstCN.com