BCN Civil Collection Lawyer (Collector)
B/CN is on the move! And movement means change. Will you help us realise these changes? Are you the lawyer who implements civil and tax legislation and regulations so that tax payments actually arrive in the Caribbean Netherlands? Then continue reading!
WO | Bonaire | 36 hours | Vacancy number: P&O2023_05_001 | Closing date: 7th June, 2023
B/CN is looking for a specialist for the Collection Department, also known as Ontvanger (Collector). The primary task of the Collection Department is the collection and monitoring of the tax payments, within the time limit(s) set by law. The latter always with an eye for the personal circumstances of the tax debtor(s).
As a collector, you handle the more complex files and notices of objection in the field of collection, in the course of which you monitor your progress closely. You advise on collection and tax aspects in cases in your area of expertise and beyond. In addition, you write statements of defence and you are deployed to conduct proceedings. As a specialist in this versatile position, you also supervise (new) employees. You visibly enjoy passing on knowledge and are the point of contact for your colleagues with questions in the area of collection.
Your excellent knowledge and expertise in this field are also fully reflected in your - solicited and unsolicited - recommendations. You can take an independent standpoint. And of course you also have an eye for other disciplines. For this position, you are expected to have a high degree of initiative.
You also identify any enforcement shortcomings in a timely manner. In this way, your excellent substantive knowledge is fully utilised. We are also keen to promote the compliance of citizens and businesses. Transparency, cooperation, and working on the basis of trust are central to this. It goes without saying that your communication skills, personal drives, and convictions that support this objective play a significant role in this. But you also have knowledge in other relevant areas of law, such as the BES Civil Code, insolvency law, and litigation.
On behalf of the Belastingdienst CN, you conduct negotiations with a variety of organisations, interest groups, but especially with tax debtors and their representatives, where appropriate.
If so desired, you are trained and instructed further internally, but specialists from the Belastingdient in the Netherlands are also available for support. A working period in the Netherlands or on one of the other BES islands can also be part of your induction period.
- You develop tools, methods, techniques, and systems in the area of expertise of collection and recovery;
- You consult with various parties and negotiate situations that are, in terms of process technology, substantive and complex in nature;
- You act as project manager for the implementation of new collection and recovery processes;
- You decide on complex collection measures, including their application;
- You have an understanding of the various aspects of notices of liability on which a position needs to be taken or policy needs to be developed;
- You assess new collection and recovery processes;
- You transfer your knowledge to internal colleagues and provide external information to external parties (e.g. the Chamber of Commerce);
- You provide steering data for the board and the management team.
Belastingdienst Caribisch Nederland (B/CN) is responsible for the levy, supervision and collection of the Central Government taxes (Rijksbelastingen) and the implementation of the Belasting-, Douane and Accijnswetgeving within the islands of Bonaire, St. Eustatius, and Saba. There are offices on all three islands. B/CN is part of the Dutch Belastindienst/Douane.
B/CN has a wide range of (online) services operational and is a leader in ICT for the government in the region.
- You completed a university (WO) master’s degree in civil law;
- With the necessary experience OR the willingness to learn and have yourself fully trained by the Tax Office Caribbean Netherlands and/or the Tax Office Academy in the European Netherlands;
- You have an affinity with tax law and the Dutch Caribbean region;
- You have qualities and skills useful in project-based work and research;
- Collection knowledge is preferred.
We are looking for an enterprising, committed, and incisive colleague who is not afraid to roll up their sleeves and ask questions. Someone who is eager to learn and has a result-oriented and problem-solving attitude. Someone who values customer satisfaction, without losing sight of the organisational goals. We are looking for someone who dares to stand up in front of the group and has a team spirit. In this position, you are ultimately professionally responsible for the supervision of the team.
- Analytical skills;
- Planning and organisation;
What do we offer?
- An appointment in accordance with the Rechtspositiebesluit ambtenaren BES (Legal Status Decree on Civil Servants BES);
- A salary in conformity with the market, in preliminary scale 11/ job scale 12 (gross monthly of at least $ 3,592,-- and at most $ 5,297,--) in case of a 36-hour working week. Assignment to a pay scale based on knowledge and experience;
- A 36-hour working week;
- Holiday pay (8.33% of remuneration);
- A thirteenth month (8.33% of the salary);
- A pension provision placed with Pensioenfonds Caribisch Nederland (PCN);
- 168 holiday hours per year;
- A temporary appointment of one year, with the prospect of a permanent appointment for good performance and a positive assessment result;
- A relocation scheme for candidates who respond from outside the island.
- This vacancy is opened internally first.
- An assessment or case is part of the procedure.
- Appointment requirements
- A Certificate of Good Conduct (VOG);
- A medical examination for admission to the pension funds;
- Dutch citizenship.
Good to know for those interested outside the Caribbean Netherlands
- The salary is in US dollars which is the official currency in the Caribbean Netherlands;
- The Caribbean Netherlands has its own tax regulations. Income above the tax-free allowance ($17,352 in 2023) will be taxed at a rate of 30.4% in payroll tax;
- Participation in the pension fund (PCN) is mandatory, including a personal contribution to it;
- You are or will become a resident of the Caribbean Netherlands.
For information about this position
Ms. Tania Boezem, Team Leader Collection, telephone number +599 7954814.
You can send your Curriculum Vitae, accompanied by a motivation, by email to: vacature@rijksdienstCN.com