I am a victim

Schadefonds Geweldsmisdrijven is for victims of violent crimes, as a result of which they have or have had serious physical and/or psychological problems (injuries). Schadefonds Geweldsmisdrijven applies the following conditions.

1. You are the victim of a violent crime committed intentionally

It must concern a violent crime committed intentionally. This means that violence or the threat of violence was used against you intentionally. For instance:

  • physical abuse
  • theft with violence (such as a house or business burglary, or street robbery)
  • threat with violence and/or a weapon
  • rape and sexual assault (sexual offences)
  • domestic violence
  • stalking
  • arson whereby the victim was in danger
  • human trafficking

Accidents do not fall under this. An example: someone bumps into you when in a hurry. As a result, you fall and break a leg. That is an accident, not a violent crime committed intentionally.

2. You have or have had serious injuries as a result of the violent crime

Schadefonds exists for victims with serious injuries. This can be physical and/or mental (psychological) injuries. Injuries are only labelled as ‘serious’ by Schadefonds if you are treated medically several times, the recovery takes/took a long time or if recovery is not possible. A few examples of this are:

  • a broken leg or arm which requires an operation
  • permanent loss of smell and/or taste
  • the loss of a tooth, molar or eye
  • a post-traumatic stress disorder

Schadefonds requires medical documents about your physical and/or psychological problems. For psychological problems, the Schadefonds looks at whether you are being treated by a care provider with a BIG registration, NIP service mark with Basic assessment Psychodiagnostics (BAPD), NVO registration with Basic assessment Diagnostics (BAD) or a contract with The BES Health Insurance Office (ZVK). You can ask your care provider about this.

In some cases, the Schadefonds presupposes that you have serious psychological injuries: for instance in the case of sexual assault or rape, domestic violence and threats with a knife or firearm. In these cases, you do not need to be under treatment by a psychologist or psychiatrist in order to receive a compensation payment. This is referred to as ‘the presupposition of serious injuries’.

Schadefonds works together with medical advisors. They look at the medical information that you have sent (documents from your doctor or care provider with information about your symptoms/injuries). They use these to determine whether there is a question of serious injuries. In some cases, they can also request extra medical information from your doctor or care provider. They only do so with your permission.

For the assessment of the injuries, the Schadefonds only uses information from specialists who have a BIG registration, NIP service mark with Basic assessment Psychodiagnostics (BAPD), NVO registration with Basic assessment Diagnostics (BAD) or a contract with The BES Health Insurance Office (ZVK). The guidelines for assessing injuries have been included in an injuries list. The injuries list gives an overview of the most common injuries and the compensation payments that apply.

3. The violent crime took place in the Caribbean Netherlands

The violent crime must have taken place in the Caribbean Netherlands. If the violent crime took place on board a Caribbean Dutch ship or aircraft, you can also contact the Schadefonds. If you do not live in the Caribbean Netherlands, but you have become a victim of violence here, you can also submit an application. Victims of violent crimes which were committed in the European Netherlands are referred to the website www.schadefonds.nl.

4. You have no part in the violent crime

Your own role in what has happened is considered. Examples are:

  • if you were the first to use violence;
  • if you provoked the other person;
  • if you are engaged in criminal activities (such as drug dealing).

If you have a part in the violent crime, it is possible that you will not receive a compensation payment or will receive a lower payment.

5. The damage is not compensated for in another way

You will only receive a compensation payment from the Schadefonds if the damage has not been compensated for by the perpetrator or an insurance company.

You can however contact Schadefonds if you do not yet know whether you will receive money from other sources. If you finally still receive money from the perpetrator or the insurance company, you may have to pay back the compensation payment you received from the Schadefonds.

In its decision, the Schadefonds can also already take account of the compensation that the perpetrator must pay you. Then you will not need to pay back our compensation payment afterwards.