Travelling to the Caribbean Netherlands with a non-Dutch or United States passport?

You must meet a number of requirements when travelling to Bonaire, St. Eustatius or Saba. Make sure to have:

  • A valid passport for the duration of the trip. This means that the passport must also still be valid when leaving the island. 
  • A clear purpose of the trip. The visa-free period is intended for tourist stays, which include family visits.
  • A return ticket to your country of origin or a ticket for transit to another country.
  • An address of accommodation, for instance the address of the hotel or apartment where you are staying.
  • Sufficient means of existence, an minimum amount of $1000.00 per week is the basic rule in this respect. This amount applies if you are already in possession of a flight ticket to leave the Caribbean Netherlands.
  • If you do not have sufficient means of support, a person you know who lives in one of the public entities can act as a guarantor for the duration of the stay. This person must demonstrably have sufficient means to provide for the stay.
  • People holding a passport from several countries are subject to a visa requirement for Bonaire, St. Eustatius and Saba. The list of countries which do not require a visa can be found via this link.
  • If you have the nationality of a country without visa requirements, you may stay on Bonaire, St. Eustatius and Saba for a maximum of 90 consecutive days within a period of 180 days. This applies to stays on all three islands combined during that period. 

Example 1: You possess a passport from a non-visa required country. In the past 180 days you have stayed a total of 45 days as a tourist on Bonaire, Saba or St. Eustatius. You can then stay on the islands for another 45 days, because 90 - 45 = 45.

Example 2: In the past 180 days you have stayed on Bonaire , Saba and St. Eustatius for 95 days. You have exceeded the allowed period of stay by 5 days, because 90 - 95 = -5.

For more information about long stays and about resident permit and work permit applications, please visit the IND Caribbean Netherlands page.