Travelling with minors

A minor who plans to travel unaccompanied or in the company of someone other than their parents, should have the following documents: 


  • A valid passport
  • A Family Record Book, Marriage Register or Birth Certificate (required to show who the parents are)
  • A Compulsory Education Form (if the minor is travelling during a school term)
  • A signed Letter of Permission and a copy of the parents’ passports, who indicate that their child will be travelling unaccompanied and/or accompanied by an escort.
  • If the minor travels accompanied by an escort, the Letter of Permission should include the name of the escort.

Please note: 
If the parents are divorced, one of the parents should always have a decision which shows who has parental authority over the child.

If the parents have joint parental authority over the child, the parent travelling with the child should have a written letter of permission, signed by the other parent, to be able to travel with the minor.

In cases where the minor no longer lives with the parents, the guardian should have a decision showing that they have custody of the child.