Declaration of Admittance by Law

Who is this form for?

Americans, European Dutch citizens and Dutch citizens from Curaçao, St. Maarten or Aruba who want to live for more than 180 days out of 365 days on Bonaire, St. Eustatius or Saba or wish to stay longer than 90 days and want to work and do an internship during the stay.

Why this form?

With this form, you can apply for a Declaration of Admittance by Law (Section 3 Wet Toelating en Uitzetting-BES).

What documents should I enclose?

In addition to the application form, you must also submit other documents and pay fees. These are listed on the document list on the application form. Make sure you enclose everything. Only complete applications will be considered.

Where do I submit my form?

You can submit your application in person at one of the IND-unit Caribbean Netherlands offices. To submit an application you need to make an appointment in advance. Look for the contact information and opening hours of all IND offices on the contact page.

Do you have Dutch nationality? Then you can also submit an application online.

What happens to my application? 

If you have submitted your application in person to one of the offices of the IND-unit Caribbean Netherlands and your application is complete, your application will be processed. If your application is not complete, it cannot be assessed. You will receive written notice once your application has been decided on. Please take a handling period of at least six months into account. The IND aims to complete an application within two months.

What if my application has been approved?

If your application for a Declaration of Admittance by Law has been approved, you must register with Civil Affairs in the municipal database. This is mandatory. Once you have registered, an identity document (sedula) is made for you at Civil Affairs.

Click here for more information about Civil Affairs BonaireSaba and St. Eustatius

If I wish to come here for an internship?

Information about internships in the Caribbean Netherlands can be found on this page.

Please note! Certificate of Good Conduct (VOG)

Persons who were living in the United States of America must submit a Certificate of Good Conduct (VOG) issued by the U.S. Department of Justice (part of the Federal Bureau of Investigation). A national assessment is carried out for this VOG. The VOG must be provided with an apostille. A VOG issued by a city or state is not accepted. The VOG and/or apostille must not be older than three months at the time of application.

On 8 December 2017, the Attorney General (PG) of Curaçao, Sint Maarten, Bonaire, St. Eustatius and Saba, the acting  Governor of Bonaire and the acting unit manager of the IND Caribbean Netherlands signed a covenant. This has resulted in a more efficient application procedure for the extension of a residence permit, residence permit application for an indefinite period or the application for obtaining Dutch citizenship. The process has been running since 1 January 2018 directly between IND Caribbean Netherlands and the Public Prosecutor's Office of the PG. This means that the citizen no longer has to apply for a VOG at the Cabinet of the Governor in the abovementioned applications.

As of 1-1-2019, persons who come to live in the Caribbean Netherlands and who have resided only in Curaçao, Caribbean Netherlands, St. Maarten or the European Netherlands for the past five years, do not have to hand in a VOG for the Declaration of Admittance by Law.
The IND will automatically request this document itself. The document must show that you are of good behavior and you must sign the antecedents certificate in the application form.
If you stayed
outside of the Kingdom or on Aruba in the past five years, you must hand in a VOG with an apostille or legalization.

More information about the VOG can be found on the website of Justis, a division of the Ministry of Justice.