Means of existence
Means of existence provides an insight into the minimum income that you must have available to prove that you are able to maintain a livelihood for yourself and your family in the Caribbean Netherlands.
The IND-CN works with standard amounts which are specified by law and serve as an indication. This means that the income should not be lower than the specified standard. The level of the standard amount that the means of existence must meet, mainly depends on the purpose of your stay and the size of your family.
The following standard amounts per month apply to children. These standard amounts must be part of your monthly gross income.
- A child between the ages 0 and 6: USD 140 per month per child
- A child between the ages 6 and 12: USD 200 per month per child
- A child between the ages 12 and 18: USD 240 per month per child
Purpose of stay
What is your purpose of stay? Your purpose of stay specifies the reason why you want to settle or live and work in the Caribbean Netherlands. For the following purposes of stay, the standard amounts serve as guidelines for the means requirement.
- Paid employment
- Family formation or family reunification
- Retired person
- Long-term winter visitor
- Person of independent means
Purpose of stay: paid employment
The standard amount which a person in paid employment must earn should not be lower than the gross minimum wage.
- The island's gross minimum wage (please note: the gross minimum wage differs per island and is established annually by the Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment, click here for more information.)
Purpose of stay: self-employment
You must prove that practising your profession or operating your business provides sufficient means of existence, meaning that you have an income which at least equals the gross income per month under the BES Minimum Wage Act (Wet minimumloon BES).
- The island's gross minimum wage (please note: the gross minimum wage differs per island and is established annually by the Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment, click here for more information)
If you have yet to start your business, you must prove:
- By means of a statement issued by the bank that you have a bank balance of at least USD 20,160.00
Purpose of stay: family reunification/family formation
The number of family members coming with you affects the size of the standard amount as follows:
- If you are a single person with a child, your monthly gross income should not be lower than USD 1.680.00
- If you bring your partner, the monthly gross income for a married couple should not be lower than USD 1,680
- If you bring your partner and child, the monthly gross income for a married couple with a child should not be lower than USD 1,680 increased with the standard amount per child
One married couple with one child aged five years and one child aged eight years. The minimum monthly standard amount is calculated as follows: USD 1,680.00 + USD 140.00 + USD 200.00 = USD 2020.00
Purpose of stay: retired person
If you are a single retired person with Dutch or American citizenship then your pension should be higher or equal to the island's monthly General Law on Old Age Pension (Wet Algemene Ouderdomsverzekering, hereinafter AOV) amount.
- The AOV amount differs per island and can be found here
- The standard amount for a married couple is twice the AOV amount
The standard amount for a single pensioner who has citizenship other than Dutch or American is equal to USD 1,680.00 gross per month. The same standard amount applies to a married couple, provided that one of the partners has the standard amount (USD 1680) as the main sponsor.
Purpose of stay: long-term winter visitor
As a long-term winter visitor you wish to stay in the public entities for a period of maximum six months per year, preferably during the winter months in your country of origin.
- The means of existence are sufficient, independent and sustainable if the income from pension or from other sources at least equals the monthly standard amount of USD 1,680.00
- The standard for a married couple is twice the standard amount
Purpose of stay: person of independent means
Your income as a single person of independent means should not be lower than USD 20,160.00 in interest or dividend per year.
- The standard amount in interest or dividend per year for a married couple is: 2x USD 20,160.00
- For a married couple with a child: 2x USD 20,160.00 + (child x standard amount x 12)
Purpose of stay: studies
Your monthly income must be at least USD 599.00 not counting your enrolment and tuition fees.
Purpose of stay: volunteer
There is no set standard amount as a means requirement, but generally it is up to you to prove that you have accommodation in place and that you can maintain a livelihood for yourself. You must also be able to indicate for which organisation you will work and how they will remunerate you. This organisation will also be your guarantor.
For individuals who do not have Dutch or American citizenship, the organisation will have to apply for a work permit.
Purpose of stay: internship
Your income should be at least 50% of the gross minimum wage. The gross minimum wage differs per island and is established annually by the Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment. You can retrieve it here.
Your monthly income may also comprise of an internship allowance, student finance or a combination of internship allowance and student finance. If the internship organisation reimburses costs and accommodation, this can also be included. A condition is that the total of aforementioned components should at least equal 50% of the minimum wage.