If you require care that is not available on the island, after receiving permission from the Health Insurance Office (ZVK), you will be referred medically. The application for permission is submitted by your physician.
With medical referrals, the ZVK arranges the travel and lodging arrangements and the necessary guarantee statements for treatment and examination. The ZVK reimburses the expenses of medically necessary examinations and treatments. In addition, with a medical referral, the following reimbursements apply:
- Daily reimbursement payments for the insured person and his/her companion, if any
- Airline ticket
- Airport taxes
- Transport to the airport of departure and from the airport of arrival to the place of destination and vice versa
- Hotel or accommodation expenses for staying with family or friends
With prior permission from the ZVK, in some cases you are also entitled to take a companion along. In order to be eligible for companionship, the following conditions apply:
- The insured person is younger than 18 years of age or older than 70 years of age
- The insured person is physically disabled and makes use of a medical device to move
- The insured person is mentally disabled
- The insured person is visually impaired
- The insured person is so seriously ill, he/she cannot travel without a companion
Companionship by both parents for medical referrals is possible in the event of a minor who is terminally ill, or is being treated with cytostatics, or is suffering from leukaemia (or a comparable illness), or is in another life-threatening situation.
Are you being sent on a medical referral? Make sure you are well informed! Download your brochure below: