Insured persons

Do you satisfy one of the conditions below? Then you are entitled to the BES healthcare insurance. For more information about the registration procedure, click here.

  1. Residency: A resident of the BES islands is insured unless Article 4 paragraph 2 of the BES Healthcare Insurance Decree is applicable.
  2. Employment agreement: do not reside on the BES islands but you do have an employment agreement there (under public law or privately). You pay taxes on the salary for this employment on the BES islands.
  3. Residence permit or declaration by law: you have a temporary residence permit, a residence permit for an indefinite period, or a declaration by law.
  4. Application for continuation of residence permit: you have submitted a timely application for continuation of your temporary permit or a conversion into a permit for an indefinite period. In that case, you will remain insured until a decision has been made regarding this application.
  5. Departure for reasons of study: you reside on the BES islands and are leaving the territory to study. You will remain insured during your study. Click for more info.
  6. Referral to the Netherlands: you are a civil servant employed by the public authority Bonaire, Sint Eustatius or Saba and are being sent to work in the Netherlands. Your spouse and residing family members are insured. Note: if you change jobs or receive benefits in the Netherlands, the insurance lapses. Your spouse and residing family members are not insured if they work or receive benefits in the Netherlands..

Special groups of insured persons

  1. Children: a child younger than 12 years of age does not yet have its own sedula but is insured. The parents must present their sedula to the ZVK and to care providers.
  2. Travelers: your insurance remains valid when you travel outside of the BES islands. Prior to departure, request proof of insurance with the ZVK. Note: care abroad is only reimbursed if the care cannot be reasonably delayed until after your return home. The reimbursement for care abroad may not be higher than the reimbursement in the BES territory. This is why the ZVK always advises travellers to take out travel insurance.

If you leave Bonaire, St. Eustatius or Saba to study abroad, you may retain your BES healthcare insurance. This only applies if the studies are directly connected to residing on one of the islands.Click on the link below for more information.