Temporary guardianship

A minor child can leave Caribbean Netherlands without his/her legal parent(s) to go and study abroad, in the Netherlands or on Curaçao for example.

Or the legal parent/parents leave the island and leave the child behind in the care of someone else.  In that case, the parents are obliged to appoint someone who takes over responsibility, care and upbringing of the child from them: a temporary guardian. A temporary guardian performs official acts on behalf of the minor, such as signing important documents. The temporary guardian also manages the finances.