I no longer have an employer

I no longer have any work as a consequence of the coronavirus. Am I eligible for the emergency regulation

If you were an employee but are no longer kept employed because of the coronavirus, you can request temporary support. To be eligible, your former employer must make use of the emergency regulation. For example, you can submit a request if you were working on the basis of a temporary contract and your contract has not been renewed due to the coronavirus.
NOTE: If you voluntarily leave your employer you are not entitled to this support. After all, the emergency regulation is intended to prevent people from losing their jobs.

How much is the support?
You can claim eighty percent of your last earned wages. A maximum daily wage applies. This percentage might be reconsidered in January 2021.

What changes in the third phase for me as a former employee?
- If you already used the arrangement before the 13th of October 2020, your entitlement will expire on the 13th of January 2021.
- When making a new application, you can make use of the support with a maximum of three months.
- To be eligible for a new application, the company you worked for must make use of the emergency regulation.
- A new application will be processed retroactively with a maximum of four weeks.
- The right to the arrangement expires if you stay outside of the Caribbean Netherlands for a total of four weeks or more during the term of the regulation.
- You are expected to make efforts to find other work. If you are approached for labor market mediation you are obliged to participate.  Make sure you can be reached via the contact details you provided

How long can I make use of this arrangement as a former employee?
Within the third phase (the 13th of October 2020 – the 12th of July 2021), the emergency regulation will be paid out to former employees for a maximum of three months. If you already received the subsidy as a former employee for three months or longer on the 1st of January 2021, you are no longer entitled to the emergency regulation from that date.

The three months in which I receive money through the emergency regulation will soon expire. What can I do?
As soon as you lose your job, you should try to find other work. If this is not possible you might qualify for social relief (onderstand). Via this link you will find more information about social relief.

I cannot claim social relief because I live shorter than 5 years in the Caribbean Netherlands. What can I do?
In exceptional cases, you can still apply for social relief. This could be the case, for example, if there are no possibilities to return to your country of origin due to the corona measures. Please contact our social relief department to look into your specific situation.

How can I submit a request?
In connection with social distancing, we call on everyone to apply digitally. We must put the health of you and our employees first.

You can complete the application form for employees, sign it and e-mail it to noodregelingszw@rijksdienstcn.com. Attach your last salary slip, proof of valid identification (ID card or passport) and proof of your dismissal.

If you are not able to apply digitally, you can contact the SZW unit by telephone for an appointment (Bonaire: 781 5555 or 781 5556, Saba: 416 5652, Statia: 790 0052). Please note that due to busy periods we cannot immediately attend to everyone.

When will the benefit be paid?
If entitled, SZW will pay the allowance to you monthly. The legal payment term to receive the first payment is a maximum of five weeks. The RCN unit SZW strives for a more prompt payment.

Until when can I submit an application?
For the period from the 13th of June through the 12th of October 2020 you can submit an application up to and including the 12th of November 2020. For the period from the 13th of October 2020 through the 12th of July 2021 you can submit an application during the term of the arrangement. Please note that no subsidy will be granted more than four weeks retroactively.

What should I do if my situation changes?
You must report all relevant changes in your situation to the RCN unit SZW by means of a mutation form.

Can I reclaim wages from my employer if my employer stopped paying my wage?
You must waive your right to claim against your employer for the period that you make use of this emergency regulation. The RCN unit SZW pays the support directly to you. If it turns out unjustified that your employer stopped paying you, the RCN SZW unit will claim your wages from your employer. You assign your claim to SZW at the moment that you apply to the emergency regulation.